Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
Need some questions answered about website design or SEO?
How long does it take to build a website?
It varies. I can get the basics of your website up in 5 minutes.
In practice ERC is capable of developing your website as quickly as it takes for you to provide me with your content text and pictures. This can take anything between a few days for a simple website or a few months for more complex website developments.
My record is 7 hours!
eCommerce websites by their nature can take much longer because it takes time to gather the content.
If I have a complete sitemap structure and the content, I can give you a more accurate estimate.
How much does it cost to build a website?
I have one of the most competitive rates in the industry, because I am focused on developing long term relationships with my clients.
In addition I use Rapid Application Development Software tools to greatly speed up development of the website design software.
Accordingly, by far the majority of your marketing budget can be allocated to the digital marketing of your website – online business – rather than to the actual development of the website.
The costs of web design are escalated by the following factors:
- Website Design – Custom website design is a time consuming development task, made more so by the need to make sure that the design actually works well in Mobile Responsive Design.
- Website Development – Custom website software development is also time consuming. Quality website design requires application software.
- Project creep – when the specification for the website development changes after the project has commenced.
- Third Party Software – can be expensive, but mostly well-worth the investment
Contact me for a detailed proposal for all your website requirements.
How does payment work?
After you have accepted my proposal a 65% deposit is required to start the work on your website.
When the website is done and you are happy to go live. The final 35% is payable.
If you require a domain then the domain registration will need to be bought before the website goes live.
What information do I need to give ERC to build a website?
The basics list
Please provide the following:
- Large high quality logo in transparent PNG format
- Corporate Identity if available
- Website domain(s) and email accounts to be used for website communications
- About section – who, what, where, when, experience set
- Pages required and page content for all pages
- A few Blog Posts
- Full contact details (Physical, Postal, Telephone, Facsimile, Email, Mobile)
- Images for the site including images for a gallery
- Document downloads in PDF format
- Credentials, qualifications, compliance, admissions details
- Social Network pages – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin etc including adding ERC as administrator on these business pages
If you have a colour scheme in mind please let me have this. I can provide colour palattes if you are unsure of the colour scheme for your website.
All text content and website imagery that you can provide will be welcome. If you have brochures, sales pamphlets and other material please make sure I get to see and receive these.
For e-commerce applications I’ll need complete product information and high resolution original quality images for all products.
Any other suggestions or questions are welcome.
How long does it take to get onto the 1st page of Google?
This depends on the competitiveness of your industry. Niche products and services are far easier to rank for.
No matter how competitive your industry, the size of your marketing budget will also determine how long it takes to reach your defined target market.
A combination of organic ranking growth and paid-for digital advertising (e.g. Google Adwords) is recommended for the quickest results.
An organic search engine ranking can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months to get your website to page 1 for your main keywords.
Can you help me with my logo and brand design?
Yes, I am able to provide you with a logo design to use on your website and other media.
What are Keywords? (SEO)
The words or phrase combination that people would think of when trying to find your business, product, service or place on Google.
Keywords chosen should be specific, taking into account the actual number of searches on that keyword, the competition on the keyword and the value of that keyword for your business.
Whenever you search for something using a search engine, you type keywords that tell the search engine what to search for.
For example, if you are searching for a electrician, you may enter “electrician” as your keywords. The search engine will then return what it determines are the most relevant Web pages for your search terms.
Relevance of a website page to a search term is determined by a Search Engine Algorithm that has contextually indexed web page textual content for websites globally.
The more specific keywords you use, the more specific (and useful) the results will be.
Therefore, if you are searching for a specific used car, you may enter something like “used cars Western Cape” to get more accurate results.